Finding housing in Île de France isn’t an easy task and can be time consuming. Here’s some tips on finding housing in Paris!


Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP)

The Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP) offers housing dedicated to foreign students each year. Students are divided between 40 different houses depending on their nationality.

The cost of housing is between 470 € and 700 € depending on the type of accommodation.

This accommodation is only available for exchange students in a postgraduate program.


The CROUS of Paris offers housing to foreign students regardless of their level of study. The rent is between 250€ and 500€ a month depending on the type of accommodation. 


Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP)

If you are an international student at master’s level, you can make an individual application to the Cité Internationale Universitaire of Paris (CIUP) directly on its website by clicking HERE.


The platform Studapart, partner of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, provides the students with housing offers of different types (with private individuals, student residences, real estate agencies).

Home Insurance

Whether you are accommodated in a CROUS residence, at the CIUP or rent an accommodation you will be asked to have a valid home assurance.

The home assurance will cover the financial costs in case of damages in your accommodation, a robbery, a fire or a water leak.

This assurance is obligatory at the expense of the renter. The cost of your assurance depends on the location, the size and the total cost of your accommodation.

The insurer with who you sign an insurance contract can also provide ‘’une attestation de responsabilité civile’’ (certificate of civil liability) which will be asked to finalize your registration at the university.

This certificate allows you to be insured in case of damages done to other persons or other goods. If this certificate is not included in your home insurance, it can be obtained from the bank or your student insurance.

The security deposit

When you sign a contract for an accommodation, a security deposit will be asked from you. The security deposit is an amount of money that the owner keeps during your entire rental period to pay for missing fees for example an unpaid rent or damages to the property.

The rental deposit

Landlords often require from a tenant that he proves the existence of a guarantor. A guarantor is often a family member or a friend who commits to pay the rent of the tenant in case it is impossible for the tenant to pay. If none of your relatives can act as a guarantor for you, you can contact certain specialised organizations.

The group Action Logement has set up the Visa for housing and employment (Visale), which is a deposit granted to a tenant which enables to take care of the payment of his rent in case of payment default. On the same principle, the organism Garantme also offers a warranty for the students who do not have one.

The personalised housing assistance

The personalised housing assistance (APL in French) is a financial aid destined to help you pay your rent, its is granted under conditions of resources.
You have the possibility to make a request to the Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (CAF / Family Allowances Fund) to receive housing assistance (APL).

The amount of APL is variable according to your place of residence, the surface area of your dwelling and your financial resources.

To find out if you are eligible and to know the amount of APL which you may be entitled, you have the possibility to do a test on the CAF website by clicking HERE.